Brief history of Pantanal Partnership / Pantanal Center for Education and Research
- Jaguar Ecological Reserve – local partner
- Summer 2010 – school construction, GIEU trip, MDP bio-sand water filter
- Summer 2011 – finishing/registering the school, MDP bio-sand water filter, Graham bio-digester
Ideas for 2011-2012
1. Biosand water filter – Greg Ewing, Cory VonAchen, Micaela McCabe
a. Design better concrete or steel mold; perhaps work with group from Troy, MI that is currently working on a collapsible steel mold
b. Develop plan to implement BSFs at 33 other rural schools, focus on O & M
2. Biodigester – Adrienne Lemberger, Cassie Ballert, Matt Friedrichs
a. Continue project from this past summer; the system produced cooking gas. Goal would be to design a system for capture and storage of the gas.
3. Trash Incinerator
a. Do a literature review, pick a system, and build and test system in AA.
b. Dr. Musaazi’s design is a good starting point. Thermodynamics is a good background.
4. Water Tower / Outdoor shower / Recycling station
a. Model structure in AUTOCAD/RISA/RHINO/etc, do materials/cost estimate
b. Design solar-powered slow water pump system, energy modeling
5. Business Plan
a. Proposal for PCER to be a competitive program
b. Environmental assessment of study abroad programs
c. Close collaboration with the directors.
6. Internet / Laptops
a. Partner with E-MAGINE to create cell-phone based system
b. Search for laptop donation possibilities, possibly through OLPC
7. Kombi modifications
a. Hybrid brakes, solar panels, ethanol, 6-stroke engine modification, other stuff
8. Web Design
a. We have a game plan and we have Dreamweaver CSS (aka you’d get the software for free), work with us to design a beautiful website.
a. Open to any ideas, if you’re creative and want a leadership role.
Next step, forming teams:
- Availability over spring/summer
- Past experiences/academic background