(see map). PCER was created with the help of private donations, grants, scholarships and fellowships. PCER is partnered with Pantanal Partnership, a University of Michigan multidisciplinary Sponsored Student Organization, and the locally-owned Jaguar Ecological Reserve.
PCER aims to offer the following programs for members of the local community:
- public primary school
- evening basic adult education courses (improving literacy)
- courses to train new naturalist guides for employment in the area
- courses in English
- courses in emergency medicine, CPR and First Aid
- courses in water filtration and public health
- courses in the construction and use of sustainable technologies
- a small medical examination room with periodic doctor visits
Study and Research
PCER offers biologists, anthropologists, engineers and others space to conduct studies in ecology, sustainable development (cultural and environmental impact), and sustainable technology design and testing, with:
- a research laboratory and space for researchers
- study and volunteer opportunities for foreigners and Brazilians
- a testing ground for new sustainable technologies that can be applied widely in the area
In Summer 2012, we built a new sustainable water tower for PCER, and embarked on a new outreach project spreading sustainable bio-sand water filter technology to other rural communities in the area.
To see what happened in Summer 2010 check out our architects' blog Design/Build Brazil and our engineers' blog Water Systems Engineers!
And if can't get enough, check out Picasa Web Album with all our summer photos.
We accept tax-deductible donations through our University of Michigan sponsored student organization. We appreciate all support, and 100% of donations go towards our efforts in the Pantanal.
To donate, please make checks payable to:University of Michigan
Memo line: Pantanal Partnership
And mail to:
2000 Lurie Engineering Center
1221 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
Recent Blog Posts
Showing posts 1 - 5 of 143. View more »